Monday, February 09, 2004

Welcome to 2004. High time for a blog update. First of all, there's a new face. The template needs some work, but I'll wait until I have a little more time to play with Dreamweaver to make that happen. As it is, lo-fi suits my needs.

Since last update: Married. Went to Australia. (The thumbnails are temporarily screwed up, and I'll get on that as well, but as it is, feel free to browse a few pictures from New Year's Eve. If you click on the pictures, you'll get the correct underlying photo, so don't be surprised.) Wedding photos are available by request; get with me via normal channels if you wanna make that happen.

I'm currently playing with my new favorite toy: The TiVo, with Home Media Option installed. Here's what makes that really cool: I can stream my entire iTunes catalog through the stereo over the home area network, by way of the TiVo. I can also view iPhoto libraries as slideshows. And you thought Powerpoint was boring!

Upcoming events:

Tennessee Primary, 2/10/04. John Kerry is in it to win it. Watch this space for other insights as the season develops.

Recent CD purchases:

Wayne "The Train" Hancock, Swing Time. Live set from the Continental Club, Austin, TX. Fun set.

The Kentucky Colonels, Livin' in the Past. If you like bluegrass and have not heard the White Brothers (Clarence & Roland), you owe it to yourself to check this out.

Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros, Streetcore. Initial listenings are way way way positive. I feel incredibly guilty for having taken Joe for granted. I doubt he knew this would be his final release, but it's a fitting memorial nonetheless.

Dos, Justamente Tres. Mike Watt & Kira exchange bass licks. The version of "Do You Want New Wave..." is worth the price alone.

Also -- find a copy of anything put out by the Detroit combo, The Dirtbombs. Ultraglide In Black is especially compelling. Funk & soul covers with a heavy layer of fuzz. The sweat is implied. They're appearing at the Exit/In this March, and I will be getting my ass there.

I'll do my best to do better at this in the near future. No promises, though.

No comments: